Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Sunbutter Honey Granola

I love granola.  I really do.  If I were to choose one food to eat for the rest of my life, granola would probably be it.  I eat it sprinkled on my yogurt, in a bowl with milk (and chocolate chips of course) and just straight up plain.

This granola in particular, I actually prefer to snack on plain.  My son really enjoys this granola too.  It makes a great afternoon snack.  I'm thinking this might be a good snack in lieu of traditional trail mix for hikes and camping this summer.

Which brings me to another new adventure with food allergies:  we are going camping this year for the first time as a family.  I went camping quite a few times as a kid, but it's a whole different experience going camping as "the mom".  There is a lot more work involved! Especially for a food allergy mama. I've spent a lot of time planning and preparing (mentally preparing!) and I'm maybe a little bit, just a tiny little bit looking forward to it.  Anything "new" that we do always gives me a little anxiety as I try to think about how we may need to make adjustments for my boy's food allergies.  I still have about two months still to gear up for this but I'll definitely report back on the experience.  (Wish me luck!)

Until thenI hope you enjoy this peanut free, nut free granola.

 

Sunbutter Honey Granola
From Egg Free Bakery

1/3 cup sunbutter
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp oil (canola, olive or coconut etc)
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups old fashioned oats

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.  In a large bowl (for the microwave) or in large saucepan (for the stove), combine sunbutter, honey, vanilla, oil and salt.  Warm and stir until mixture is smooth and combined.  Remove from heat (if using the stove top) and add the oats.  Stir mixture until well combined.  Spread mixture on to prepared baking sheet.  Bake 15-20 minutes, stirring once or twice during baking time.  Remove and allow to cool on baking sheet.  Store cooled granola in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment