Wednesday, August 31, 2016

One Bowl Egg Free Blueberry Muffins

I'm all about quick and easy, one-pot, one-bowl types of recipes.  As much as I love cooking and baking, this mama ain't got no time for complicated recipes. Blueberry Muffins have always been one of my favorite kinds of muffins and these ones do not disappoint! I love eating them while they are still slightly warm, sliced in half with a bit of butter smeared on them.  Ooh yum! 

These are so easy to put together. 

If you don't have fresh blueberries on hand, which I did not, you can definitely use frozen. (Not thawed)  I posted the original recipe below, but I'm pretty sure I reduced the amount of sugar listed.  I usually only put 1/2 cup of sugar in muffins.  Anymore than that is just too sweet for my taste.

*Tip:  Chop the blueberries in halves or quarters so they aren't as large. Regular size blueberries just seem to big for muffins.  I don't know if you've ever run into this problem before, but often when I make blueberry muffins, the batter around the blueberries would be mushy.  Chopping them smaller, or using smaller wild blueberries helps solve that problem.


One Bowl Egg Free Blueberry Muffins 
From inspiredtaste.net, adapted egg free by Egg Free Bakery

1-1/2 cups  flour
3/4 cup sugar, plus more for muffin tops
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup plain yogurt (to replace 1 egg)
1/3 – 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp  vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, chopped, if desired

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.  (I used a 12-cup standard muffin tin) In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  In a liquid measuring cup, add oil and yogurt and then fill with milk until it reaches the 1-cup line.  Add vanilla and whisk until well combined. Using a fork, add milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix just until combined.  Do not overmix.  Fold in blueberries.  The batter will be very thick.  Scoop out batter by 1/4 cup and divide among paper lined muffin tin cup. Sprinkle granulated sugar on top of the muffin batter. Bake 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out dry, not wet.  Remove to wire rack to cool.  Let cool a bit before serving so that papers do not stick to the muffin, though these can be served while still slightly warm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment