Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Our Food Allergy Story: Part 1

I thought I would describe in more detail our food allergy story in hopes that maybe it will help someone out there who is going through the same things as we have gone through.

I can't believe that is has been 8 years since I had my son Logan.  I thought I had it all figured out before I had kids.  I knew how I was going to parent.  I had worked in daycare, so I was pretty much an expert on everything.  Boy was I wrong!  Logan was a fussy, difficult, colicky baby.  Those first few months were really rough!  I thought the days of rocking and shushing would never end!  Breastfeeding was not going well either and I ended up weaning him at about 8 weeks old.  

While Logan was a baby I often noticed his skin would get frequent rashes, especially in the creases of his elbows and knees.  He would often get bad diaper rash too.  The doctors just gave me lotions for it, never diagnosing it for what is really was: eczema.  Logan also frequently spit up... even beyond the "normal spit up phase".  All these things, in retrospect, I now wonder if they had something to do with his food allergies.

On his first birthday we let him dig into his chocolate birthday cake, took pictures while he got all messy.  Shortly afterwards, he threw up.  What?  Was he getting sick?  He seemed fine!

At 14 months he attended a small on-site daycare at my work.  For snack they gave the kids peanut butter toast.  The girl on daycare duty phoned me and informed me that Logan was throwing up and his face was getting red.  So I rushed down and called his doctor.  After a dose of Benadryl and a few hours later, the facial swelling went down and he was fine.  That's when we first figured out that he was allergic to peanuts.

Logan at 16 months old
 The next few months we avoided peanuts, but he still had really really bad eczema and every so often he would throw up after a meal.  We finally got him tested at 18 months per our doctor's referral and discovered he was allergic to eggs as well.  That explained the birthday cake.

Our doctor also prescribed us an Epi-Pen, which as a young, inexperienced mom really freaked me out!  I had no idea that food allergies could be so serious.  Life threatening!  I had never known anyone who had food allergies before so this was all new information to me.  It was so overwhelming!  But I clung to a hope that he would grow out of it.  I was told there was a chance and I hoped and hoped he would be one of the ones who outgrew his food allergies.

My little family in 2008
Read Part 2 Next week

2 comments:

  1. It's so hard seeing our little ones go through that! My 7 year old is anaphylactic to peanuts and eggs. He threw up after eating his 1st birthday cake also. A few months later he had his first anaphylactic reaction to peanuts, after taking a bite of his big brother's PB sandwich. We finally figured out his egg allergy a couple months after that, when he had an ana reaction to mayonnaise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So scary! Especially because they are just so little too!

      Delete