Tuesday, January 5, 2016

New Year's Resolution Solutions + A yummy egg free lunch idea

Hello all!  It's the beginning of a New Year and with that comes GOALS, right?  I know there are mixed feelings out there about New Year Resolutions.  Some say "what's the point?  I never keep them." Others say "we shouldn't wait until New Years to make goals and changes."  While I agree with the latter point, I still like to take time every New Years to evaluate my life and make resolutions.  

Two resolutions I have made are to eat healthy and maximize the time I spend in the kitchen by bulk baking and weekly food prep.  

One of the reasons I haven't posted very many new recipes lately is because I am cutting WAY back on sugar.  I've come to realize how much sugar I am actually eating every day (think added sugar in cereals, milk, yogurt etc)  I've had some minor health complaints that I believe may be connected to how much sugar is in my diet.  So I'm trying a little experiment and cutting back.  I'm not COMPLETELY cutting it out, because, let's be real here, everyone loves a sweet treat every now and then.  I'm focusing on eating real foods and adding more fruits and vegetables to my diet.

In order to reach this first goal, though, I need my second goal.  I read about bulk baking and weekly food prep on blogs, and I make plans in my head and write down lists. I have done bulk baking for short periods of time... but then for some reason or another I revert back to my old habits.  I want to make this apart of my lifestyle.  Being a busy mom of three little kids, I don't have time to be cooking and baking all the time.  This is something I should already be doing.  It'll save me so much time!

So I ran my first experiment with weekly food prep this week.  Last night I made a double batch of baked oatmeal, and portioned them into muffins tins for the kiddos.  I assembled fruit and yogurt into mason jars for quick grab and go parfaits.  I made a big batch of chicken salad and divided it into portion sized containers for the hub's lunches.  I also made a double batch of whole wheat tortillas to store in the freezer.  Lastly, I portioned out canned fruit into smaller tupperware for the kids' school lunches.  All that, including dishes took me a little over an hour.  Not that bad.  I usually like to slice some cheese also to make sandwiches easier to assemble. Sunday I chopped up a whole bag of carrots and to my surprise, they were GONE by Tuesday!  If it's ready to go, we really will eat it!  And that is encouraging to me.  I hoping that I can keep this up!
Sour Cream and Onion Chicken Salad from 100 Days of #RealFood #chicken

I also wanted to share with you a recipe find that has been a favorite of mine from 100 days of real food:  Sour Cream and Onion Chicken Salad.  This is the chicken salad that I made this week.  It uses sour cream instead of the traditional mayonnaise found in chicken salads making this one egg free!  And it uses ingredients that I usually have on hand which is a bonus.  So head over there for the recipe and have a happy new year!






1 comment:

  1. My favorite Chicken recipe. Love to find this unique recipe. Can't stop myself from making it..

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete