Thursday, November 19, 2015

Egg Free Sugar Cookies with Egg Free Icing


SHH!  It's not too early for Christmas. Usually I am a stickler to my "no-christmas-until-after-thanksgiving" rule, but for the first time, like ever, I cheated.  I've been listening to Christmas music now and then (my kids made me do it!) and I maybe already have my Christmas shopping done and if I thought my hubs would be down for it, I probably would have the tree set up by now.  But alas, that will wait until the day after Thanksgiving, but have I ever been in the Christmas mood!  Bring it on!


My goal this year was to have all my shopping done before Thanksgiving so that I would actually be able to ENJOY the season instead of rushing around everywhere. (And I did it!  Whoop!) So I fully intend to soak up every minute and memory this holiday. Decorating our tree, watching classic Christmas music, viewing nativities, attending school holiday programs and parties, drinking hot cocoa and looking at lights. It's going to be great! Plus this may be my last year before my oldest catches on to the whole Santa thing... (*tears*)  He's figured out the tooth fairy.  He seemed to think he was pretty clever that he figured out the Easter Bunny too, but he said "Santa is real though right mom?"  

mmm-hmm yep.  It's only a matter of time.  Sad day.

Anyway,

What's Christmas without sugar cookies?  They are a holiday must have!  This sugar cookie recipe differs from my other recipe (which is my fave!).  These are buttery, melt-in-your mouth sugar cookies with a thin glaze of icing that hardens as it dries making these ideal for stacking and ideal for gift giving.

 

Egg Free Sugar Cookies with Egg Free Icing
Adapted Egg Free by Egg Free Bakery, other sources include Our Best Bites & In Katrina's Kitchen 

1 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup granulated white sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until smooth.  Add vanilla and milk.  Gradually add flour and baking powder. You may need to remove dough from stand mixer and mix by hand if the dough gets too stiff.  Form the dough into a smooth ball.  (No need to chill the dough) On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut into shapes using floured cookies cutters.  Transfer to ungreased baking sheet.  Bake about 8 minutes, give or take a couple of minutes.  Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before removing from a wire rack to cool completely.

Icing 
1 lb powdered sugar
6 Tbsp milk 
6 Tbsp light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk together powdered sugar and milk until it is completely smooth.  Then stir in the corn syrup and the vanilla extract. It should be smooth and thin and run off your whisk in a thin drizzle.  This is the right consistency for just spreading it on your cookies.  If you want to add a border and then fill it, like I did in my Christmas cookies pictured above, you'll need to add more powdered sugar to thicken it a bit.  This is just the base recipe.  Check out the link to Our Best Bites.  They provide a fantastic tutorial using this icing and how to decorate sugar cookies.  (Way better than I could try to re-explain!)


No comments:

Post a Comment