Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Egg free Soft Pretzels

Eek!   I've been having these random moments of freaking out!  My hubs and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary this summer.  We are taking off to Hawaii next week!!  Just the two of us.  I am so stinking excited.  I can't believe it's actually happening.  It will be my first time going to Hawaii.  And first time leaving the kids longer than overnight. (I'm a little nervous about that) It's all so surreal and exciting.  Lots to do this next week though.
 
So my sister sent me a text a couple weeks ago showing me some homemade pretzels she made and I've been craving them ever since! Making homemade pretzels isn't really that hard.  (Shaping them.  Maybe.  I could use a little more practice on that front)  I used these as a spring board for dinner one night and turned it into a cheese fondue night with these pretzels, sausage, broccoli and apple slices.  Yum!

All I had to do to make these egg free was omit the egg wash.  They still browned beautifully and tasted excellent.


Egg Free Soft Pretzels
From Mel's Kitchen Cafe, adapted Egg Free by Egg Free Bakery

1/2 cup warm water
2/3 cup milk, warmed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 tablespoon instant yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 - 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
4 cups hot water + 1/2 cup baking soda for dipping
Coarse, kosher salt for sprinkling
3 tablespoons butter, melted 
 
Heat water and milk in a liquid measuring cup in the microwave until warm but not too hot.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together 2 cups flour, yeast and salt.  With mixer running, slowly pour in water and milk mixture and vegetable oil.  Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  Let knead 3-4 minutes.  Lightly grease bowl and let dough rise covered until doubles in size 45 minutes to one hour.  Punch down down and divide into 8 equal pieces.  Roll each piece of dough into a long rope and twist into a pretzel shape.  Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. In another bowl heat water until hot.  Mix in baking soda until dissolved.  Dip each pretzel in hot water mixture and return to baking sheet.  (you may to reshape pretzels a little).  Sprinkle each pretzel with salt.  Let pretzels rest 10 minutes.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Bake pretzels for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and immediately brush with melted butter.  (use ALL the butter! Yum!) Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack.  Let cool and serve while still warm.  Serve as it or with your favorite dipping sauce (marinara or cheese are tasty!) Yield 8 pretzels

 

No comments:

Post a Comment