Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Best Egg Free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Another familiar looking recipe?  Yes this is another recipe that I first posted back a couple years ago.  I thought it was due time I pulled this one out of the cupboards and dusted it off to show off again.  I made a few tweaks to the original posted recipe and the result--  Amazing.  The BEST egg free oatmeal raisin cookie!  Don't like raisins? (sub with chocolate chips!)


"Man I'm loving my oats lately!  ;)  You know, I don't think I've ever heard someone claim oatmeal raisin as being one of their favorite cookies.  Usually you hear something like "chocolate chip" or "sugar cookies."  Or Oreos.  When I announce I am making cookies and that I am making oatmeal raisin cookies, I get an excited "OH!" followed by a disappointed "oh."  from the hubs.  However, I got compliments on these cookies! (but I had to make some without raisins.  I don't know why I even bother sometimes. I like the raisins in them, but the hubs and the kids pick them out.)  I think the raisins pair perfectly with the cinnamon and nutmeg... plus with the cream cheese to substitute for eggs in the recipe... let's just say these are no ordinary oatmeal raisin cookies!  I actually prefer this recipe over ones that call for eggs!  Seriously, no one would ever guess these are made without eggs."

 


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted from Art of Dessert

1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt 
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups raisins (or chocolate chips, if you must)
2-3/4 to 3 cups rolled oats (NOT 1-minute quick cooking oats)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, cream cheese and sugars until smooth.  Add vanilla.  Gradually add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.  Add oats and then raisins. Shape into balls, about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough each, and place on an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake about 10-12 minutes.  Let cool 10 minutes on cookie sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.  

Recipe shared on Allergy Free Wednesday


1 comment: