Saturday, April 4, 2015

Egg Free Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

Holy smokes where has the time gone?? Has it really been since January since I last posted a recipe? Life. It happens. 

But, It's time for show-and-tell. In February it was my birthday. And it was a BIG one. I've now joined the thirties club. Yes. The big 3-0. The question I always get is "so how does it feel? Being thirty?" 
It's weird. I still think of myself as 21. But I'm okay with being thirty too. I feel grown up now (even though I've been "grown up" for awhile). 

I wasn't planning on making myself a cake but my children insisted. It wouldn't be a proper birthday celebration with a cake, presents and decorations. 

So why not. My cake skills could use some practice. It is my birthday and all. I hopped on Pinterest to find an idea and came across this:


Ta-da. I'm pretty proud of myself. It was so easy and pretty forgiving. I just used a 1M cake decor tip and starting on the sides went at it- swirling into little rosettes. It was fun. I want to make a pink "smash cake" like this for Lil' Bo Peeps 1st birthday in June.

So now how's about a recipe? We tested out food allergy mamas chocolate muffins and they didn't disappoint. We opted for white chips, but chocolate chips are called for in the recipe. Delicious with a smear of butter.




Egg Free Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
From "The Food Allergy Mama's Easy, Fast Family Meals" 
slightly adapted by Egg Free Bakery

1-1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup canola oil
4 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.  In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, soda and salt.  In another bowl, whisk together milk, oil, water and vanilla.  Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Measure out 1/4 cupfuls of batter and divided among lined muffin cups.  Bake 15-18 minutes in preheated oven until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove muffins to wire rack to cool completely before serving.  Yield 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment