Sunday, December 7, 2014

Egg free chocolate peppermint kiss cookies

Holiday baking. Do you dread it or look forward to it? For the most part I enjoy it--though I do not enjoy the cleanup afterwards. Who does? I would love to meet the person who likes doing dishes. I will invite them over and they can clean up my messes.

I LOVE this time of year! The lights, the smells, being with family and friends, the food (oh the food!) this year I've been trying to simplify things so I can really enjoy this holiday season with my husband and kids. I've got my Christmas shopping done, I'm keeping our activities simple and yes even my holiday baking will be simplified this year. Usually I bake goodies for our neighbors, but this year in the name of sanity-simplicity- I'm going a different route. I had the opportunity to bake for a dinner party we were invited to and converted this tasty cookie recipe egg free. I loved the results! All I did was used applesauce to replace the egg. Worked perfectly! Happy holidays!


Egg free chocolate peppermint kiss cookies
From thenovicechefblog.com, adapted egg free by egg free bakery

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla 
1-1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Hershey's peppermint candy cane chocolate kiss candies
Granulated sugar, for rolling 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until well combined. Add vanilla and applesauce. Add flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Roll into 1 inch balls, using about a tablespoon of dough per ball. Pour some granulated sugar into a small bowl or plate. Roll each cookie dough ball in the sugar to coat and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press an unwrapped peppermint kiss into the center of each cookie. Allow to sit for two minutes on the cookie sheet then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Don't let it sit on the cookie sheet any longer otherwise the kiss will melt. It will melt slightly anyway but not so much that it loses its shape. Likewise you may also find it helpful to pop the chocolate in the freezer while you are preparing the dough. If the kiss does melt more than you would like, no biggie. Just smooth the top a little with the tine of a fork or toothpick. You will have a lil button instead. Cool completely before transferring to an airtight container for storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment