Monday, November 17, 2014

Egg Free Gingerbread Muffins

Just checking in!  There is something about having a new baby that kind of makes you fall on the face of the planet for a little while.  Baby girl is 5 months old!  It really has gone by quickly.  I thought for sure by now I'd be on top of things again-- or not.  But that's ok.  We're keeping busy with 1st grade, ballet, co-op preschool, laundry, laundry and more laundry and trying to sneak in some naps here and there AND keep my sanity.  But I thought I'd check in and leave a recipe.  Gingerbread Muffins!  (Muffin.  Cupcake.  It's kind of the same thing a little bit.  Especially with egg free baking.  Cupcakes have frosting on them.  Muffins are a little less sweet and denser-- but we'll call these muffins and eat them for breakfast. ) My kids especially liked these.

Be sure to follow me on Pinterest if you don't already.  I'm using that a lot more to share recipes and ideas that I find and use. (In fact your feed is probably full of a whole bunch of things I just pinned.  You're welcome)  I'll save blog posts for recipes that I convert egg free.  Hope you enjoy the holidays!


Egg Free Gingerbread Muffins
From Annie's Eats, adapted egg free by Egg Free Bakery

1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened appplesauce
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp cold water

For topping:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1-2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line muffin pans with paper liners.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.  Whisk to blend.  In another mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar.  Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add applesauce. Mix in the molasses. With the mixer on low speed, stir in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated.  Add in the second half, again mixing just until incorporated.  Mix in the water on medium-low speed, just until evenly mixed and no lumps remain. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin liners, filling each about two-thirds of the way full.  Bake, about 18-20 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

To finish, combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and whisk until evenly combined.  Dip the top of a muffin in the melted butter, then into the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat with a thin layer.  Repeat with the remaining muffins.  Serve warm. Yield 10-12 muffins

2 comments:

  1. I have to tell you - your blog is my new favorite thing ever! My son was recently diagnosed with an egg allergy and I have scoured the web for recipes. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my blog! Thanks! Hope some of these recipes will work for you. It's overwhelming dealing with an allergy at first but it gets easier.

      Delete