Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Vegan Waffles

Oh my heart!  School started today.  I have mixed feelings about it.  This year my boy is starting first grade at a different school than last year- and- he is riding the bus.  I was excited and nervous for him, relieved for him to be back in school but also sad because summer is now "over".  He is going to be just fine.  I think I am having a harder time than he is.  He didn't even say goodbye- he just hopped on the bus along with the other kids while I'm running after the bus waving and blowing kisses. I can't wait to hear how his day went when he comes home.

So for the past few weeks I have been absorbed in pinterest looking at fun ideas for breakfast and healthy school lunches. (Now let's be serious here, I'm not the mom who cuts sandwiches into shapes and makes palm trees out of carrots and broccoli)  But I did make a rotation (which looks great on paper)-- but we'll see how well I can stick with it.  :)  I love menu planning so it is fun for me.  It's difficult with an egg and nut etc etc allergy to think of a variety of healthy breakfast ideas

However

Speaking of breakfast, I came across this recipe from Mr. Breakfast.com.  We've made them several times since.  Nicknamed "yellow waffles" by my kids, they are the closest in texture to "real" waffles that I have tasted.  Topped with syrup and butter (I know, I know- no butter if you are eating these because you are a for real vegan-- we just like them because they are eggless), you can hardly tell they don't have eggs or milk.  I already have an egg free waffle recipe on my site, which I think freezes/stores better than these vegan waffles, but I find myself going to these more and more because of how simple the ingredient list is and again for the texture.

Enjoy!

Vegan Waffles
From Mr. Breakfast, slightly adapted by Egg Free Bakery

2 cups flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
4 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
2-1/2 cups water

Preheat waffle iron.  In a bowl combine flours, sugar, salt and baking powder together with a wire whisk.  Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients.  Pour water and oil in the center and give a quick stir, then mix with the dry ingredients just until combined.  Lightly spray preheated waffle iron with cooking spray.  Pour about 1 cup of batter into iron and cook according to manufacturer's directions, cooking 30-60 seconds longer than recommended.  Remove from iron, top with butter and desired toppings and serve IMMEDIATELY.  These are best eaten hot of the press.  Yield 4 waffles.


No comments:

Post a Comment