Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Egg Free Blackberry Pie Bars

These might look familiar if you've seen my "What to do with Blackberries" post from last year. I found this recipe at wit and vinegar.  I thought they looked so tasty I just had to try them.  It's a genius idea really.  It's a pie, only it a bar form (and I don't know about you but I have a hard time trying to get a pie to look appetizing).  I simply replaced the egg with water.  You could probably use any kind of filling here-- blueberry, cherry, raspberry....


Egg Free Blackberry Pie Bars
From Wit & Vinegar, adapted Egg Free by Egg Free Bakery

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1/4 cup cold water
1/8 tsp salt
Zest and juice of one small lemon
1-1/2 cup blackberries
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease an 8 x 8 glass baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.  In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, baking powder, flour, salt and lemon zest.  Cut in butter with pastry cutter or 2 butter knifes until it is crumbly. (If you don't have a pastry cutter-- get one.  I went for 8 years with out one and finally bought one.  I think it was less than $10 and it has changed my butter-cutting life) Add water and stir.  The dough will still look like crumbs- like moistened crumbs.  It will not be a "dough".  Don't worry. In another bowl combine lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar. Add blackberries and toss gently.  Pat half the flour/crust mixture into the pan. Top with blackberries, then sprinkle the rest of the flour/crust mixture over the dough. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown.Let cool completely and put in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment