Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Egg Free Brown Sugar Oatmeal Muffins

Happy April Fool's Day!  I've never been one to play pranks.  When I was little we'd just run around saying things like "someone called: you just one a million dollars...April Fools!" Yeah... never been good at this April Fool's Day stuff.  And that has nothing to do with the recipe for today:

I am loving muffins right now.  Nearly once a week I'll bake up a batch of muffins for breakfast, alongside some fruit, yogurt or a smoothie. Enjoy!

 

Egg Free Brown Sugar Oatmeal Muffins
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted from Taste of Home 

1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat flour (you can use all purpose here too)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup applesauce, water or yogurt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine oats, flours, sugar, baking powder and salt with a wire whisk.  In a another bowl, combine applesauce or water, milk, oil and vanilla, mixing well.  Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until no large lumps remain. Divide batter evenly among 12 regular muffin tin cups either lined with paper liners or greased with cooking spray.  Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.  Yield: 1 dozen.  

4 comments:

  1. Very good! I was determined to make muffins this morning but realized my husband had hard boiled ALL of the eggs in our fridge. I'm glad I found this recipe. I made them with the water because I didn't have applesauce, and added some cinnamon. They are delicious :) I will make them again in the future with applesauce

    ReplyDelete