Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Basic Egg Free Yellow Cake/Cupcakes

This recipe is already on my blog, but I thought it deserved it's own post because it is such a staple and I use it often.  Out of all the egg free yellow cake recipes I've tried, this one is by far my favorite! I've used this cupcake recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes and Golden Oreo Cupcakes and a few others.  I also experimented to see if this could be baked in a cake pan and had success!

Basic Egg Free Yellow Cake/Cupcakes
From Egg Free Bakery,  adapted from "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World"

1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, let stand 5 minutes)
1-1/4 cups flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tin pan with baking cups. Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In another bowl, mix together buttermilk (or milk/vinegar mixture), oil, sugar and vanilla.  Whisk in together wet and dry ingredients until no large lumps remain being careful not to overmix. Fill lined muffin pan 2/3 full.  Don't overfill.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake either.  (I think the texture is better if the cupcakes are just done).   Let cool 5-10 minutes in pan before removing cupcakes to wire rack to cool completely before assembling.  Yield: about 12 cupcakes 


No comments:

Post a Comment