Friday, March 14, 2014

Egg Free Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

I was having fun on Pinterest looking for St. Patrick's Day Food ideas and I came across several recipes for Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies.  They looked so fun I made them the very next day after finding them!  You have to like mint to like these cookies.  (No brainer, right? I can already picture my hubs's reaction when he comes home to find that I've "ruined" a perfectly good cookie by adding mint ha ha.)

Happy St. Patrick's Day

and 

what the heck

Happy Birthday Dad!  :) [probably my most loyal blog reader!]

*UPDATE: To my surprise, my non-mint-liking husband and kids actually LIKED these cookies!  I can hardly believe it. 


Egg Free Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted from The Idea Room

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 drops green food coloring (or more if you like)
1/4 cup applesauce
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup Hershey's Chocolate Chips (or 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup Andes Creme De Menthe baking morsels-- made by tootsie roll so it is egg and nut free!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter or margarine, shortening and sugar until fluffy.  Add extracts, food coloring and applesauce.  Mix well.  Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to butter mixture.  Finally add chocolate chips.  Scoop out 1/8 cup of dough per cookie.  Roll each into a ball and place on ungreased baking sheet, giving cookies plenty of space.  (I can usually fit 8-10 cookies per 15 x 10 inch cookie sheet)  Bake 8-10 minutes.  You don't want to over bake or let the cookies start to brown- you'll lose the green color!  Remove from oven and if you want (this is what I do) gently press a spatula on the top of each cookie-- this will give the cookie a more even surface, making them ideal for stacking.  Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Yield: about 30 cookies.

2 comments:

  1. I. LOVE. YOU.
    Seriously, as a person allergic to eggs who loves mint chocolate, this is just what I needed for a long year of studying.
    Thank you thank you thank you.
    They turned out FANTASTIC. I didn't have shortening, so I just used an equivalent amount of butter, and they spread a bit more than yours seemed to, but the taste was just great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your comment made my day. I'm glad they turned out for you!

      Delete