Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Carrot Cake Oatmeal

It sounds gross, I know- adding carrots to oatmeal?  Stay with me though-- after all, we do add carrots in cake and muffins and bread.  I saw this recipe over at Annie's Eats and intrigued I thought I'd try it.  And you know what, I really enjoyed it!  I felt all healthy eating it afterwards (Yes, I had veggies for breakfast!) And then I've had it multiple times since.


Carrot Cake Oatmeal


Combine the water and milk in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a simmer.  Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet.  Add oats and stirring to toast oats until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.  Stir the toasted oats into the milk/water once it has reach a simmer.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer about 20 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Stir in the salt, brown sugar, carrot, coconut, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until all of the liquid has been absorbed and the oatmeal is creamy, about 10 minutes more.  Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment