Friday, January 10, 2014

Italian Chicken & Spinach Soup

I've got to be honest.  I really have not had much motivation to work on the blog lately. 
And since I'm sure you are all just dying to know why I will tell you.  

First with the new year I have decided to simplify things in my life and to spend more time with my family and less time on the computer.  Second.  I'm preggers therefore just plain tired and I'm lucky if I can get laundry done and dinner on the table, and it's only going to continue once baby #3 is born this summer.  I'm still going to continue posting recipes, but rather than post the recipe on my site, unless it is one of my own, I'll just provide the link to the recipe.

So in the spirit of simplification and quick and easy, here is an easy weeknight dinner recipe for you.  It was given to me by a friend years ago and was one called Chicken Tortellini Soup, but I have not found any egg free tortellini. :( So, you can replace the pasta in this soup with tortellini if you want/can because all I did to adapt this soup for our family was exactly that: swap the pasta.  I love the flavors of this soup and it is so simple to make!


Italian Chicken & Spinach Soup
From Egg Free Bakery, given to me by a friend

2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
8 oz rotini pasta or pasta of your choice
1 carrot, sliced into coins
1-1/2 cups shredded chicken  
4 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach leaves 
Shredded parmesan cheese 
Freshly ground pepper

Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Cook stirring for one minute. Add broth, water and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Add pasta and carrot and chicken; reduce heat to medium. Cook for eight minutes. Stir in spinach. Cook for one to two minutes. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls.  Sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Serve.  Yield 6-8 servings 


Flashback Friday:

One year ago I posted this recipe for Cocoa Banana Smoothies.  A creamy & delicious smoothie that to this day is still one of my favorites!

 

2 comments: