Friday, January 3, 2014

Egg Free Heart Healthy Pancakes

Here's a breakfast that you can feel good about! Whole wheat and oats with a little less sugar and oil than what other pancake recipes call for.  And it's egg free.  I came across this recipe several years ago from the Food Allergy Mama and it's one that I use over and over. I make these pancakes probably once a week!

I have to put in a plug for this homemade maple syrup from Mels Kitchen Cafe that I make.  I no longer buy commercial pancake syrup.  I think just like a good hamburger is not only about the meat, but the bun too- a good pancake/waffle is not only about the pancake, but the syrup too!



Egg Free Heart Healthy Pancakes

1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons water
1-1/2 cups milk (the original recipe uses soy or rice milk.  I just used regular milk)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Wild Blueberries, optional

Preheat griddle until hot.  In a large bowl, whisk together. flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together water, oil and milk.  Pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients, whisking just until combined, a few lumps are fine. If you want, you can fold in some frozen wild blueberries too. Let batter stand a few minutes before baking.  Spray griddle with cooking spray and ladle about 1/4-1/3 cup batter onto preheated griddle.  Cook until edges are dry and a bubbles start to form on top.  Flip and cook until other side is light brown. Serve immediately with desired toppings. Yield about 12-15 pancakes.

*If you have extra, they freeze well! 

Flashback Friday:

I year ago I posted these healthy egg free applesauce oat muffins-- one of the few muffins my kids love to eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment