Friday, January 17, 2014

Egg Free French Toast Sandwiches

Breakfast for dinner! Seriously, it was one of my favorite things pre-food allergies.  It's quick and easy and everyone generally likes breakfast-for-dinner.  Plus, I'm not really one for savory and spicy first thing when I wake up in the morning so dinner was a great time to make spicy omelets and breakfast burritos.  Sigh.  How I miss those sometimes.  It's ok though.  Me and my hubs go on regular "omelet dates".  

Co-worker to Hubs: "What did you do this weekend?
Hubs to Co-worker: "My wife and I went out on a date."
Co-worker to Hubs: "Oh really?  Where'd you go?"
Hubs to Co-Worker: "We went to IHOP and had omelets" then after a quizzical look my hubs explains our son has an egg allergy and we don't have eggs in the house.

Kind of funny, at least to us. 

And I'm not going to get started on IHOP.  GRR! Ok, just a little bit- the very first time I ate there I was like "Woah!  This place is great"  Fast forward several years and I get a BOGO coupon in the mail to IHOP (Score!).  So we go for our omelet date and I. was.  SO. mad when I discovered they mix their famous pancake batter into their omelets. WHAT?  That's not an omelet!  That's just a cheap way of spreading our your eggs!  Cheap.  BOGO coupon or not, I'm not going there just because of that.  :) [end rant]

So another thing about breakfast for dinner is come dinner time, I need something kind of hearty-- not sweet.  Point of the long story: French Toast Sandwiches! Serve with a side of hash browns and fruit for a satisfying meal for breakfast-for-dinner or breakfast!


Egg Free French Toast Sandwiches
From Egg Free Bakery

8 slices high quality bread
8 slices Canadian Bacon or Ham
4 slices Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp cornstarch
dash of salt
butter

Preheat frying pan or electric griddle over medium heat. Meanwhile, layer two slices of canadian bacon or ham over 4 slices of the bread.  Top each slice with cheese and remaining 4 slices of bread. In a shallow dish or pan, whisk together milk, cornstarch and salt until well combined.  When griddle is hot, rub butter generously across the griddle. Quickly dip both sides of each sandwich in milk mixture and immediately place on hot griddle.  Cook until bottom side is golden brown, about 2 minutes.  To flip, you'll need to kind of work your spatula underneath the sandwich to get it up-- it might seem stuck, but just wiggle your spatula around under the sandwich and it'll come up.  Rub griddle again with butter and flip sandwich to cook the other side.  Once done, remove sandwiches and let cool slightly before slicing and serving.  Serve as is or with jam or powdered sugar.  Yields 4 sandwiches

Flashback Friday:

One year ago I posted this recipe for these mouthwatering Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.

 

 



1 comment:

  1. I have two kiddos with egg allergies and my husband and I also go out for omelettes for date nights. We get quite a few of those quizzical looks! Always nice to meet someone who gets it. :)

    ReplyDelete