Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Egg Free Marshmallow "Surprise" Cookies

Here we go!  Heeellooo December!  I'm actually really ready for December and Christmas.  Having Thanksgiving later in the month of November this year threw me off and I'll admit I started listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. (>gasp<  I broke my own rule of no Christmas until after Thanksgiving.  I did wait on the Christmas decorations though.)

I thought I'd start the month off with some delicious egg free cookies.  These cookies remind me of something Hostess would make- chocolately with a surprise marshmallow filling.  My kids really enjoyed these.


Egg Free Marshmallow "Surprise" Cookies
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted from Martha Stewart
View Printable Recipe Here

2 cups all-purpose flour 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add sour cream, milk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add flour mixture; mix until combined. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 8-10 minutes. Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begin to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Spread or pipe frosting over each cookie covering the marshmallow completely.  Yield about 2 dozen cookies


*Note:  If you find these cookies to be a little on the dry side you can try a couple things:  1) is to bake them on the shorter side of things rather than on the longer side.  2) Add a few tablespoons more milk to the batter.  The proportions listed in the recipe worked for me, but could change due to altitude or variation in people's ovens.

Hershey's Chocolate Frosting
1/4 cup butter 
1/3 cup cocoa powder 
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar 
3 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Yields 1 cup frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment