Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Egg Free Crepes-- part dos

"Don't you already have a egg free crepe recipe on here?"

Yes I do, but because of my insatiable pursuit for perfection I thought it could be improved upon.  Plus since the recipe I have uses flax seed, I thought "what if I don't have flax seed on hand?" and then not to mention the speckled appearance kind of bothered me.  It's not way noticeable... but it bothered me.

So I thought I would re-post my egg free crepe recipe with the tweaking I did for a version that doesn't use flax seed.  I thought it turned out fantastic! 

*UPDATE:  It's been 4 years since I posted this recipe and it is my go-to crepe recipe.  My 6 year old daughter LOVES these.  She asks me nearly every week if we can make crepes.  My kids enjoy these with plain maple syrup and also with cinnamon sugar sprinkled over the top and rolled up.
 
Egg Free Crepes- Part II
From Egg Free Bakery

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1-1/3 cup milk
2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil

Whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl.  Add milk and oil, whisking until mixture is smooth-- you don't really want any lumps.  Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat.  When skillet is heated, pour 1/4 cup crepe batter onto skillet, swirling to even coat the bottom of the skillet in a thin layer.  Cook until top side appears dry, about 1-2 minutes.  Carefully flip, using a spatula and cook another 20-30 seconds.  You may need to adjust the heat if the crepes are cooking too quickly and burning. Remove to a plate and keep warm.  Repeat process with remaining batter until all the crepes are cooked.  Serve crepes with desired toppings such as fruit, syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream etc.  Yield about 10-12 crepes

You can use this recipe on any of these delicious crepe combinations:

 

 
 Egg Free Ham & Asparagus Crepes -omit the sugar in the recipe for savory crepes-


2 comments:

  1. will definitely try these as I also don't like the appearance of foods made with flax seed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them. My kids request them all the time!

      Delete