Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Chicken Roll-Ups (Egg Free)

Mmm!  Comfort food.  I always crave these types of meals during the cold months of winter, and when I'm feeling nostalgic.  Wishing I could be a kid again and go back home to live with my parents and let them worry about bills, dishes, laundry and all that grown-up stuff and I could just lay on the couch, whine, eat and watch tv.  (Don't worry, I always snap out of it.  I am not writing this from my parent's basement.  Besides, even if I did try to move back in, they'd kick me out.)  This is a meal that my mom used to make.  Tender biscuit filled with cream cheese chicken and topped off with a drizzle of delicious homemade gravy.  Serve with rice or mashed potatoes on the side and a veggie.

Chicken Roll-Ups
From Egg Free Bakery 
View Printable Recipe Here


Biscuit Dough:
½ cup shortening
2 cups flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
¾ cup milk

Chicken filling:
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
8-oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 tsp. minced onion

Gravy:
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken broth
Salt & Pepper

Cut shortening into flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs.  Stir in milk until dough leaves side of bowl (dough will be soft and sticky).  Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead 10 times.  Roll into a ½-inch thick rectangle.  In another bowl, mix chicken with cream cheese and minced onion.  Spread chicken mixture over biscuit dough rectangle. Roll up and cut as if making cinnamon rolls.  Cut into 8 slices.  Place on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 450° for 15 to 20 minutes.  While rolls are baking, prepare gravy: in medium-sized saucepan, melt butter.  Whisk in flour and cook 1-2 minutes.  Slowly add chicken broth, whisking constantly to avoid lumps forming.  Allow gravy to come to a slow boil and cook and stir until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.  Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle gravy over hot rolls.  Serve rolls along side rice or potatoes and steamed vegetables.  Yield: 8 roll-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment