Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Egg & Nut Free Donuts! {And What about Candy Corn??}

Can you believe that this is the first time my 5 year old has ever had a donut?  I love donuts!  I've been determined to find a good donut recipe for my boy.  This is the 5th attempt at donut-making and FINALLY a success!  The recipe comes from the Food Allergy Mama (THANK YOU!  THANK YOU! THANK YOU!)   The other recipes I had tried just didn't taste like real donuts- this one DOES!  I was so satisfied with the results and they were fairly easy to make too!  What's Halloween without donuts??  They were a hit with my family!  I've been doing a happy dance in my kitchen about these.

So since this recipe comes from her new cookbook, I don't think I can post the recipe-  bummer.  (Don't hate me) So instead, I can tell you where to find it!  


Check it out from the library, buy it-- it's not that much and it has so many great recipes.... (sheesh!  I should get some sort of reimbursement for this plug.  just kidding. seriously though, it's a great recipe book)



The recipe is dairy free-- I just used regular milk etc since we don't have a dairy allergy in our house.  And I did both a creamy vanilla glaze and a maple glaze  (I just added maple extract instead of vanilla in the recipe)

Another topic of discussion I wanted to address with Halloween 16 days away: Candy Corn.  You know, candy corn is not even really that good, but despite that-- I can't help myself!  It's just an iconic Halloween candy.  I like to eat it once a year and then I'm good for the rest of the year.  "Safe" candy corn has been tricky to find.  

There's the classic Brach's candy corn:
 

with the "processed-with-everything-you-can-think-of" warning:




Then there's the nice little tub of Zachary Candy Corn:




Hi Zachary.  But Oh No!  It's got egg-white in it: (which I'm finding a lot of other brands/off brands have)

"sugar, corn syrup, contains less than 2% of the following: salt, glycerine, egg whites, confectioner's glaze, natural and artificial flavors, mineral oil, honey, carnauba wax, coconut oil, artificial colors (including fd&c yellow #6, yellow #5, red #40, and blue #1)." 

AND THEN!  I saw Jelly Belly is making candy corn too.  My heart skipped a beat because the first thing I saw is that it is made in a peanut-free facility!!!  That's great news and I wish that was all we had to worry about...
 

But alas, upon further inspection, it's got soy protein in it!  But for those with nut and egg allergies... perfect!

"Ingredients
Sugar, Corn Syrup, Contains 2% or Less of the Following: Modified Soy Protein, Artificial Flavor, Sorbitol, Color Added, Yellow 6 Lake, Yellow 5, Red 3, Beeswax, Carnauba Wax, Confectioners Glaze, Salt."

Can you sense my frustration at this point?

We actually ended up trying Starburst Fruit flavored candy corn.  I thought "Ok, cool.  They are shaped like candy corn.  That's fun" But we weren't totally crazy about the taste...


 Starburst Original Fruit Flavored Candy Corn: 12-Ounce Bag
I think I'm outta luck.  Unless any of you have come across an allergy free candy corn? Keep your eyes peeled for me!


2 comments:

  1. My sons have egg and nut allergies, so have never been able to have candy corn. We have bought the starburst ones this year, which my boys actually quite love, but they aren't really candy corn. The Jelly Belly ones would actually be safe for my boys; I didn't know they made candy corn! But I haven't seen it anywhere. Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete