Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Egg Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes

First of all, I just have to say how proud I am of my boy!  He's already got a year of school under his belt so I wasn't as worried about his this year with his food allergies as I was last year. I am proud of how is really beginning to take charge of his food allergies and advocate for himself.  Can I just say I have been waiting for days like this!?  

They have snack at school and I have indicated to the teacher two kinds of crackers that are ok for him to have.  Then I told my boy to be sure the teacher gave him the right kind of crackers.  It sounds like on a couple of occasions, the teacher gave him the wrong kind and he spoke up and told her "You gave me the wrong kind!"  Then, just last week they were making applesauce in class.  He came home and asked me "Mom, am I allergic to tree nuts"  I said "Yes, why?"  He said "The teacher put nuts in the applesauce".  His classroom is nut free so I couldn't see that happening.  Then it donned on me - nutmeg!  That's what it was.  So I explained nutmeg is a spice and not a tree nut and it's ok for him to have nutmeg.  I complimented him on his awareness and also told him if he didn't feel comfortable eating the applesauce, he didn't have to.  Can you just feel me getting my proud mama on?  Way to go bud!

Today's recipe is pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes.  I swear pumpkin and chocolate chips were made for each other!  The natural orange tint from the pumpkin and the dark brown from the chocolate chips make these festive looking and delicious.  I left the chocolate chips out one time and let my kids "decorate" their pancakes to make a jack-o-lantern face using the chocolate chips.  They had fun with that.


Egg Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted from I heart nap time

2 cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp dark or light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups milk
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
Mini Chocolate Chips

In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter and allow to cool several minutes.  In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.  Add milk, cider vinegar, water and pumpkin puree to the cooled butter.  Whisk well to combine.  Add pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.  Fold in a handful of miniature chocolate chips.  Heat an electric griddle to medium heat.  Once preheated, spray with cooking spray and drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls.  Cook until edges are dry and bubbles form. Flip and continue cooking until underside is golden.  Remove from griddle and serve with maple syrup, cinnamon cream cheese syrup or cranberry butter.

Sharing on Allergy Free Wednesday

View Printable Recipe Here  
*fingers crossed that this works*

No comments:

Post a Comment