Friday, October 11, 2013

3 Ingredient Egg Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (or Muffins)


You've probably seen this before.  But I wanted to post this recipe in an attempt to add a little variety to the recipes posted on my site.

But first, let's talk boxed cake mixes.  Honestly, I really am not a fan of them.  I prefer to make things from scratch because I think they taste better.  But I realize that not everyone has the time, or maybe even the desire to make things from scratch. One thing about boxed cake mixes: some brands are better than others.  We use Betty Crocker.  I like Betty Crocker better than Pillsbury because of taste. Duncan Hines is good, but we can't use it because of a nut cross contamination warning.  But you decide what brand you like best and what will fit for your needs.  I definitely think different brands will yield slightly different results.

I will admit boxed cake mixes are great when you need something quick- like when you realize that you need to bring cookies to a social event.... that is in two hours, or like when you have an unexpected birthday party.  Times when you really wish you could just go pick something up from the store.  Not that that has ever happened to me.

These are made from three simple ingredients: a cake mix, canned pumpkin and chocolate chips.  How much simpler can it get?  You can choose to bake these as cookies, or put in a mini muffin tin to make mini muffins.

One last thing, since my boy will most likely have food allergies for the rest of his life, in the back of my mind I'm always thinking about how I need to teach him to cook! Having recipes like this really come in handy because they are so simple. Simple enough that he can make them as he learns how to cook and bake.
*And please ignore the flour on the cookies.  I was trying to make the cookies look more smooth, and was using my floured hands...  it was all totally unnecessary, just scooping and dropping the dough on the cookie sheet worked out better than what I was trying to do :/

3 Ingredient Egg Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (or Muffins)

1 box spice cake mix (Betty Crocker)
1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (Hershey's)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized bowl, combine cake mix and canned pumpkin.  Mix together until completely combined.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Drop cookie dough onto ungreased cookie sheets by heaping tablespoonfuls.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.  Yield: 2-1/2 dozen cookies

*Variation:  Drop batter into greased mini muffin tin cups and bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

**Another note, depending on the brand of cake mix and chocolate chips, these could be dairy free too.

View Printable Version Here

No comments:

Post a Comment