Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Wheat Bread/ Rolls

Recently I saved all my pennies and was able to invest in a Bosch Mixer (which literally had me shaking with excitement when it came... who would've thought something like that would make me so happy?)  It's really great because since I do so much baking, I can now make things in bulk and freeze them-- which significantly cuts down the time I spend in the kitchen.  I used to make bread weekly, now I only make bread twice a month.  I alternate between this great bread recipe and this wheat bread recipe I am sharing with you today.  Okay so these aren't 100% whole wheat, but it's got about half/half which is good enough for me.  I had my first success with this recipe when I first started making bread.  It's pretty simple to make and extremely quick. You can really have a loaf of hot bread in about an hour.

Another great thing about this recipe is it only requires one rising time which is done in the bread pans.  So you won't have to worry about this happening:
Yes.  That happened to me.  It made me think of this:
Happy Bread-Making!

Wheat Bread/Rolls
From Egg Free Bakery

4 cups very warm water
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 honey or molasses
2 tsp salt
5 cups whole wheat flour
5-6 cups all purpose flour
4 tbsp SAF yeast

Combine water, oil, sugar, honey or molasses, salt and 3 cups of flour in the bowl of a large electric mixer.  While mixing, add yeast.  (Because the recipe uses SAF yeast, it can be added directly to the ingredients without proofing.) Once yeast is combined, continue adding flour 1 cup at a time until the sides of the bowl come clean from the dough pushing on the sides.  Knead for 8 minutes.  Dump dough out onto a greased countertop and divide into 4 balls. Shape each dough ball into a loaf by rolling or patting into a rectangle and rolling up from the short end.  Pinch seams to seal. Place in greased 9x5 loaf pans and let rise, covered with a clean towel, in warm area for about 20 minutes.  While loaves are rising, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for about 25 minutes, give or take a few minutes. Immediately turn loaves out onto a wire rack to let cool completely.  Yield: 4 loaves.

* You can also shape these into rolls.  Once you divide dough into fourths, you can divide each dough ball into 12 pieces.  Roll on countertop into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet close to each other, but not touching.  Let rise as directed in the recipe and bake 12-15 minutes.  Brush tops with melted butter after removing from the oven.

**I buy my SAF yeast at WinCo.  I think they have it in the bulk section, but it's also in the baking aisle.

*In case you haven't noticed, I've added a "Pin-It" Pinterest Button!  Just hover over an image, and it will appear in the upper left hand corner.

Sharing on Allergy Free Wednesday

1 comment:

  1. Oh these look simply irrestible. You had me at "one rising". Headed to the pantry :-)

    ReplyDelete