Friday, September 20, 2013

Turkey Roll-up Pinwheels

Here's a question that I thought I'd throw out there in cyberspace.  It's been on my mind, and has nothing to do with today's recipe.  For those with food allergies, my question is:  

Do you ever feel 'left out' because of your food allergies?  

It's seems like that is one of the biggest concerns that others have about my boy.  I hear comments such as "I just feel so bad. I don't want him to feel left out!" [we are at a party and have brought our own food/treats] I hear that a lot.  At nearly every function we attend that has treats and goodies.  I appreciate the concern.  My boy is just a few months shy of 6 years old, and as far as I can tell he doesn't seem like he ever has felt 'left out' because of his food allergies. As long as he's got a treat too, even if it's not exactly the same as what everyone else is eating, he's good.  Is that just him?  Maybe that might change the older he gets? 

I think sometimes those of us without food allergies think this way because we know differently.  Whereas those with food allergies may not know any different.  For my boy, this has been his whole life:  bringing our own food to every picnic and birthday party, checking labels, bringing our own food into restaurants, sitting at the nut free table, even if that means he's by himself...  He doesn't really know any different therefore it's not a big deal.   At least not at this age.

Thoughts anyone? Just curious what others' experiences are with this.

Onto the recipe for today:  Here's a recipe that is great for lunches. No mayo= no egg.  You can also slice into bite-sized pinwheels to serve at a party too.


Turkey Roll-Up Pinwheels
From Egg Free Bakery

4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp sour cream
1/4 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
1 lb Deli turkey
chopped romaine lettuce
flour tortillas

Combine cream cheese, sour cream and spice in a bowl.  Smear 1 tbsp or so of cream cheese on each flour tortilla.  Top with turkey and lettuce.  Roll up.  Slice and serve.

1 comment:

  1. My son is 7; we've known about his egg allergy since he was about 3. He never feels left out, which NO ONE seems to believe! I hear a lot of people (especially at school) say they don't want him to feel left out, but I think he honestly doesn't care. He knows what will happen if he has that "treat." One thing in our favor is we go to a very small school (only 30 kids in his whole grade) and he's been this way since he started school. The entire class knows about his allergy and all of them go out of his way to make sure they bring him a safe snack or treat when birthdays are celebrated. Kids are so resilient!

    ReplyDelete