Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Best Buttermilk Banana Bread

I've been cheating.

On my favorite banana bread recipe.

It's already posted here on my site.  It was the recipe my mom used when I was growing up.  So it's got nostalgic ties, right.  I had even tried several different recipes for banana bread and the one I kept coming back to was my mom's banana bread. I had decided that that recipe was "the one" and I didn't need to look any further.

Then it happened.  My eyes started wandering, and I found this recipe over at Mel's kitchen Cafe.  Call it love at first bite, but WOW was it good!

Unlike my other favorite recipe this one calls for BUTTER instead of shortening (it has to be good then, right?)  I converted the recipe egg free and reduced the sugar-- it was a little sweet for me--  

The question is:  Is it my new favorite?

Well call me a player, but I do like both recipes.  I can see myself alternating between the two because they are both good, similar in ingredients, but different taste and texture. This one definitely more moist and I love the flavor of the butter!  (can I say that enough?)



Best Buttermilk Banana Bread
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted From Mel's Kitchen Cafe

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 - 1 cup sugar (*see note)
1 cup mashed bananas (if you aren't quite there to one cup, you can add applesauce to make up the difference, up to 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Grease and flour a 8 X 4 inch loaf pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add sour cream, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla until the batter is well mixed. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Mix until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and you can feel some resistance when you push the toothpick in the center. 

*A note about the sugar:  the more ripe your bananas are the sweeter they are going to be.  Take that into consideration when determining how much sugar you want to add.  The original recipe calls for 1-1/2 cup sugar.  I cut back to one cup and it was still pretty sweet for me, but my bananas were also quite ripe.

No comments:

Post a Comment