Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Egg Free Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes

I found this recipe at cooking classy and it looked sooo delicious!  It only called for one egg in the original recipe so I thought "Score! I can replace that no problem!"  These turned out fabulous!  So moist and decadent. Instead of topping with lemon buttercream frosting as directed in the original recipe, I used a cream cheese frosting.  I will have to try the lemon buttercream sometime too.

 

Egg Free Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting 
From Egg Free Bakery - recipe sources: Cooking Classy, Art of Dessert
View Printable Recipe Here

 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest from 1 large lemon
1/4 cup sour cream
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 tsp flour or cornstarch

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin cup with paper liners; set aside. Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  In another large bowl, blend together melted butter, vegetable oil and granulated sugar using an electric hand mixer (or use a stand mixer).  Stir in vanilla and lemon zest. Add sour cream. Add in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk in two alternate batches, blending well after each addition. In a small bowl, toss frozen blueberries with 1 tsp flour or cornstarch.  Fold frozen blueberries into batter. Spoon batter intol each prepared muffin tin cup until about 3/4 full. The batter will be thick. Bake cupcakes 20 - 25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in muffin tin for 5-10 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Frost as desired.  Yield 12-15 cupcakes.

Cream Cheese Frosting
  
8 oz. bar cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened to room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 to 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar

With the mixer on a low speed, beat the cream cheese and butter till blended. Mix in vanilla and lemon extracts. Slowly add the powdered sugar, a cup at a time. Once all the powdered sugar is added, increase to a higher speed to whip up the frosting till light and fluffy.






4 comments:

  1. These sound great!
    The cream cheese frosting is an interesting choice! It's my second favorite, only behind buttercream. I bet it was delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubs LOVES cream cheese frosting! He would have me put it on everything. But I think I'm with you, buttercream is my first choice, followed by cream cheese.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog! My son is also allergic to eggs. I have a question about subbing eggs in baked goods: what's the max # of eggs you'll try to sub for? Obviously, something like a 10-egg pound cake is out of the question...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish. To answer your question: the fewer the number of eggs, the easier it will be to substitute. I won't attempt replacing anymore than 3 eggs in a recipe.

      Delete