Friday, August 2, 2013

Egg Free & Soy Free Breakfast Burritos

Oh how I love breakfast burritos!  Oh how I have been missing them.  Typically silken tofu is used in savory breakfast dishes, which is not an option for us because of my boy's soy allergy (plus I think if I did actually use tofu I would not hear the end of it from my family about being a food hippie)  I came across a breakfast burrito recipe at Mel's Kitchen Cafe that was pretty hearty with sausage, potatoes, spinach, and then egg of course but I figured, hey why not try these sans eggs and see how they turned out.  They were so YUM!  I can't wait to make them again!  The eggs would have been a nice addition, but even without the eggs, they are still extremely tasty-- making a great savory breakfast option or breakfast-for-dinner dish.  And I guess you can put silken tofu in to replace the egg too if you want-- I won't call you a food hippie. :)


Egg & Soy Free Breakfast Burritos
Adapted by Egg Free Bakery, originally from Mel's Kitchen Cafe 
View Printable Recipe Here

1 lb Yukon gold potatoes peeled & cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp olive oil , divided
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
1/2 lb ground pork/or bulk sausage (I used ground pork)
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 

Medium sized flour tortillas
Salsa, optional

In a microwave safe bowl, toss the potatoes with 1/2 tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Microwave uncovered for about 7-8 minutes, stirring every 1-2 minutes, until the potatoes have softened, but still hold their shape.  Meanwhile, brown ground pork or sausage in a large skillet until no longer pink.  Transfer sausage to a plate.  Set aside and keep warm.  Pour off all but 1-2 tsp of drippings (if you have a lot of drippings). Add the microwaved potatoes to the skillet, spreading in a single layer.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cook 5-6 minutes without stirring.  Gently flip the potatoes and continue cooking an additional 5-6 minutes.  Clear the center of the pan by scooting the potatoes to the sides, pour 1/2 tsp oil and add minced garlic and rosemary.  Quickly stir and saute for about 30 seconds and then stir the potatoes in with the garlic-rosemary mixture.  Add cooked pork or sausage back in to skillet along with chopped spinach.  Cook for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and heat until melted. Spoon mixture into center of flour tortillas and roll up.  Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: about 6-8 burritos, depending on how heavily you fill the tortillas.


2 comments:

  1. I have been missing breakfast burritos. (And tofu is not in my cooking realm) I am so excited to try these. I am going to try freezing them too, hopefully they freeze as well as my favorite egg breakfast burrito recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would imagine they should freeze just fine. I haven't tried it though because we gobbled these all up not leaving any extras for freezing! (I guess next time I'll have to quadruple the recipe or something) Hope you like them.

    ReplyDelete