Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Grilled Chicken Fajitas

I'll tell you what-- I have been in a baking funk lately!  I don't know what the deal is.  It just seems like all the recipes that I have been making aren't turning out.  New recipes as well as old ones that I make all the time.  It's quite frustrating.  I need to get back in sync or whatever it is with my positive-cooking-energy-ch'i or something.  I made bread a couple weeks ago- a recipe I use all the time, and my loaves turned out small and dense!  Then I tried a couple of new egg free recipes and they were total flops.  I ended up throwing the finished product away.  I feel like I am just learning how to bake egg free again.  Sigh.  So you'll have to forgive the abundance of non-baked goods for a little bit until I get back into the groove of things.  Naturally after having some of those bad kitchen experiences, I had to turn to one of my tried and true sources for recipes.  This recipes comes from Our Best Bites.  Super yummy.  I love latin/mexican inspired dishes!  I love how colorful these fajitas are too :) The original recipe calls for soy sauce, which I omitted to suit our family's needs.  Perfect meal for a hot summer day!



Grilled Chicken Fajitas
From Our Best Bites, slightly adapted by Egg Free Bakery 

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts and/or chicken thighs (I like doing a comb0)
2-3 bell peppers, stem and membranes removed and quartered
1 large red onion sliced into 1/2″ slices (keep the peel on to help keep together on grill)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
3 tsp vinegar
1-2 t liquid smoke (don't leave this out!)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp chili powder, or chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder

In a medium bowl, combine all marinade ingredients and whisk well.  Reserve 3-4 tablespoons of marinade for later use.  Place chicken and peppers in a ziploc bag or shallow dish.  Pour marinade over chicken and peppers and place in the fridge.  Refrigerate 4-6 hours.  When ready to grill, preheat an outdoor bbq grill.  Make sure grill is oiled so things don't stick.  Place chicken and vegetables on grill.  I like to place a small sheet of heavy duty foil on the grill to cook the onions on so they don't fall apart and fall through the grill grates. Cook chicken for a few minutes on each side until cooked through and veggies are tender and have nice grill marks.  Let chicken stand for a few minutes, then slice on a diagonal.  Slice up peppers and onions too.  Serve with flour tortillas, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, beans and rice-- Whatever your heart desires.  Yield 4-6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment