Friday, May 24, 2013

Happy 1-year Birthday Little Blog+ Chocolate Cupcakes With Caramel Frosting


Be prepared.  This is a long post.  But I'm celebrating!  My little blog is turning one years old.   I can't believe I have had this blog going for a year now.  It has really been a great outlet for me.  I love being able to share recipes that I have successfully converted egg free! (and other recipes that I come across that I love)  Like any first birthday, there's got to be lots of pictures and cake. First, I thought I'd post links to the my personal favorite recipes and links to the recipes that get the most page views:

Some of my favorite recipes (there are so many!) that I have posted in the past year are:

Egg Free Cheesecake- a more recent discovery, but one that caused me to do a little happy dance in the kitchen because I had conquered once again a dish that traditionally has eggs in it! So rich and delicious-- you would never know it doesn't have eggs.  Too bad it's not fat free...

 Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal.  Though not a creation of my own, I got this recipe from Annie's Eats and I instantly fell in love with it!  I could eat it for breakfast everyday.

Egg Free Golden Oreo Cupcakes.  Once I mastered a basic egg free cupcake recipe, I wanted to experiment with more specialty cupcakes and this was my first one.  These have been a hit every time I've made them!


 Golden Oreo Ice Cream: Everyone has had "cookies & cream" but what about with Golden Oreos?  One of my boy's favorite cookies now in a flavor of homemade ice cream! (Egg and Nut Free!) 

The Following are links to the posts that have received the most page views to date:

Egg Free Sugar Cookies: A classic!  A recipe from when I was growing up converted egg free.  We seriously make these several times a year.

Egg Free Chocolate Mug Cake: Every time I make this I can't get over how soft and fluffy it is, and that it only takes like 2 minutes from start to finish to make!  It's a lifesaver for birthday parties and desserts when I am short on time.
 

Egg Free French Toast: French Toast has always been one of my favorite breakfast foods.  Now we can still have it.  Who would've thought you could make french toast with out eggs??
Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake: Another creation that is not one of my own, but still a hit.  It's a tie for my first place favorite between this and the chocolate mug cake.  It's  a quick fix for a cinnamon roll craving. 
Now on to the best part of a birthday party: Cake! More specifically, Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting.  I chose to post this one because this is the first cupcake recipe I ever tried baking egg free.  It seemed fitting.  It was for my son's 2nd Birthday.  I tried to be creative and make a Mickey Mouse cake and well..

Ya.... it looked like a 5 year old made his cake.  And by the way his expression is to the candles, not the cake.  Or maybe it is the cake.  Oh well.  

Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted slightly from Taste of Home

2 cups water
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, beat together water, sugar, oil, applesauce, cider vinegar and vanilla extract.  Mix well.  In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until blended.  Line a muffin tin with paper liners.  Fill each muffin tin with about 1/4 cup batter.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for a few minutes in the muffins tins before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.  Once cool, frost with caramel frosting (recipe follows). Yield: 24-28 cupcakes

*This recipe can also be halved for 12-14 cupcakes.  Or freeze the extras!  You can also, if you prefer, bake this in a greased 9 X 13 inch pan for 28-32 minutes.   

Caramel Frosting
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping

3 tablespoons butter, softened

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 to 6 tablespoons milk


Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Mix together with an electric handheld mixer or in the bowl of an electric mixer until frosting is smooth.  Begin with the small amount of milk and add more as needed to achieve the desired consistency.  Store cupcakes in the fridge to help the frosting to set up more. 


Happy Birthday Little Blog!




2 comments: