Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Chicken Caesar Salad/Salad Dressing (Egg Free, Mustard Free!)

At first glance this recipe may not seem that exciting, but OH it is VERY exciting!  Yes, Chicken Caesar Salad and me go way back-- to, like, when I was a teen.  It was my go-to at restaurants: safe, reliable, tasty.  Even still, years later, I enjoy Chicken Caesar Salad (but I will admit, not my go-to anymore.  I've moved on and ventured out.  No offense Chicken Caesar Salad.  I still like you)  The dressing in the recipe is not "authentic" but it's sure close enough for me.  No Eggs or mustard! 



Chicken Caesar Salad/Salad Dressing (No Eggs or Mustard!)
From Egg Free Bakery, --Salad Dressing adapted from Jamie Cooks it Up!

For Salad:
1 head Romaine lettuce, washed & dried and chopped into bite size pieces
1-2 chicken breasts
Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper
Olive Oil
Parmesan Cheese
Croutons (Homemade are awesome-- just butter and toast bread cubes in the oven and season with a little S & P)    

For Dressing:
2 Tbsp lemon juice, bottled or fresh  
2 Tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
3 cloves garlic, pressed  
1/4 tsp pepper, freshly cracked  
1/4 tsp salt  
1/2 cup sour cream  
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese fresh grated or canned works too  
2 Tbsp buttermilk (or milk)  
1/2 cup canola oil

Prepare lettuce and set aside until ready to serve.  Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Drizzle with olive oil and grill until done OR heat oil in a nonstick skillet and cook chicken until done, turning once.  Let chicken stand a few minutes before slicing.

For Dressing: Pour all ingredients into a blender, except oil, and blend until smooth.   Then slowly pour in oil with machine running and blend until smooth.  Yields about 1-1/2 cups dressing.

To assemble salad, just before serving, toss lettuce with just enough dressing to lightly coat the greens.  Top with sliced chicken, fresh grated parmesan cheese and croutons.  Drizzle with additional salad dressing if desired.  Yield: 4-6 servings 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm going to put this on the menu next week!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete