Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Avocado Quesadillas

I've been in a menu slump lately and I finally figured out why:  I am ready for summer!  I'm done making soups and hearty, wintery meals.  I'm ready to pull out the grill and have light, fresh tasting dinners.... but we are not quite there yet. Needless to say, I haven't been in the mood to cook lately and I'm going to a lot of my quick & easy recipes for dinner.  Alot of grilled sandwiches and these quesadillas which happen to be my absolute most FAVORITE!  I could eat these every day.  The combination of the chicken and bacon, creamy avocados, melty cheddar cheese and pop of green onion...Mmm!  For extra yumminess, you can toast the quesadillas in butter.  I usually just do my on a dry skillet though.

 

Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Avocado Quesadillas

4 medium-sized flour tortillas
1 lb chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
salt and pepper
1/2 cup green onion, diced
8 strips of bacon, cooked & crumbled
1 avocado, diced
mild cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tbsp butter, optional

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange bacon on a cooling rack and set it on top of baking sheet. Cook bacon until crisp, about 15 minutes.  Remove to paper towel lined plate to drain and cool.  Once cool, crumble.  Remove 1/2 tbsp bacon drippings to a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the green onions and saute about 2-3 mins until softened. Add the cut up chicken pieces in a single layer, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 mins or until chicken is golden and cooked through, flipping just once during cooking. Remove the chicken and green onions to a plate and carefully wipe out the skillet with a paper towel. If desired, add about 1/2 tbsp butter to the skillet over medium heat. When foamy, add a tortilla and swirl it around to get it nice and buttery. (You can also toast the quesadillas in a dry skillet too) Layer one side of the tortilla with chicken, bacon, avocado, and a little cheese. Use tongs to flip the other half of the tortilla over and press down. Cook the tortilla for about 1-2 mins on each side or until golden brown and crispy. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas, adding a little more butter for each tortilla as needed, if using. Makes 4 quesadillas.

*Make ahead tip: the method described above yields optimum flavor, but if you find yourself short on time, you can cook the bacon and chicken separately ahead of time and then assemble come dinner time.  Serve with fruit slices or veggies.




1 comment:

  1. I second the cooking slump! Dinners have been too basic and repetitive around here. Thanks for the quesadilla idea. I think I'll put this on the menu next week.

    ReplyDelete