Friday, April 26, 2013

Chocolate-Coconut Granola

So I've researched and considered the debate over and over-- Is coconut safe for someone with a nut allergy? I asked my boy's doctor over 6 months ago and at the time she recommend to avoid it.  My boy was due for allergy retesting back in February so I had them add coconut to the list to see if he was allergic to it.  Hallelujah!  No coconut allergy- whatsoever.  So now I've gone crazy adding coconut back into our diet.  But, of course, my boy doesn't care for coconut.  Go figure. 

But I must say, why haven't I had chocolate granola before?? Love this twist on regular granola.  And coconut and chocolate are simply made for each other (have you ever had coconut M'n'Ms?  That's a mommy-moment-in-the-closet candy) This granola would also be tasty with the addition of chocolate chips too!



Chocolate Coconut Granola
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted from Pastry Affair
 
3-1/2 cups rolled oats 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup craisins, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, combine cocoa powder, honey, oil, cinnamon and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 30-45 minutes stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.  Add craisins half way through baking Remove from the oven and cool completely on pan.  Once cool, remove to air tight container.  Store at room temperature for 2 weeks and serve as desired.



1 comment:

  1. Coconut and chocolate. One of my favorite combos. Going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete