Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Potatoes W/ Bacon & Parmesan

Yikes!  Easter is fast approaching.  I am kind of bummed that Easter is in March this year.  I like it when Easter is in April because it gives me something to look forward to in April.  When I think of Easter in terms of food, I automatically think of Easter Brunch.  This week I'm posting a few brunch ideas.  Trying to find savory breakfast dishes that don't have eggs is kind of tricky. These potatoes are savory and delicious.  Could be served with fresh fruit and pancakes, muffins or toast or something like that. Also a menu option for gluten free guests too at your next brunch. (And this certainly doesn't need to be a breakfast dish, you could totally serve it as a side dish at dinner too if you wanted)

Potatoes W/ Bacon & Parmesan
From Egg Free Bakery adapted from Souffle Bombay (oven instructions here)

2 potatoes
2 tbsp diced onion
Kosher salt and pepper
2-3 strips bacon
2 Tbsp or more fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Scrub and peel potatoes.  Dice them into 1/2 inch to 1 inch chunks.  In a large skillet fry bacon until crisp.  Remove to paper towel lined plates to drain and cool.  Add potatoes chunks to bacon grease, stir them around a bit and try to get them in an even layer.  Season with salt and pepper.  Fry the potatoes, turning occasionally until all sides are browned and potatoes are cooked through.  Add oil or butter if needed if your skillet gets dry.  About halfway through cooking time, add the chopped onion.  Once potatoes are cooked through and crispy and onions are tender, toss with crumbled bacon.  Top with fresh Parmesan cheese. Yield 2-4 servings.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds, and looks delish!
    I have personally been dreading Easter this year. It is the first Easter we have to be egg-free (last year the boys were too little to notice they were not eating the same as us). I am looking forward to your Easter menu.
    p.s. Great job on the rainbow pancakes, very creative! (the clouds and rain were my favorite.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you. The idea just kind of came to me as I was making the pancakes. It's fun. :) Easter still has me stumped! I am still trying to come up with Easter traditions for our family since we don't dye Easter eggs... we still do easter egg hunts and stuff like that, and a lot of times we make Easter shaped sugar cookies,(and I found a cute rice krispie treat bird nest I want to try this year.) But I'm always curious what other people with egg allergies do for Easter!

    ReplyDelete