Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Egg Free Cinnamon Crumb {Coffee} Cake

I'm not quite sure why coffee cakes are called "coffee cake" because they don't have any coffee in them.  Maybe because they are to be eaten with coffee??  I wouldn't know.  I don't drink coffee.   So I call this Cinnamon Crumb Cake. :) I was very pleased with the outcome of my cinnamon coffee cake recipe that I converted egg free.  It was light and fluffy and absolutely perfect! This would also make a great addition to an Easter Brunch.


Cinnamon Coffee Cake
From: Egg Free Bakery

¼ cup shortening
¾ cup sugar
2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk (or milk mixed with 1 tbsp cider vinegar)

Topping:
2 tbsp. shortening
½ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. flour
¼ tsp. cinnamon
Dash salt

Cream shortening and sugar together until combined and fluffy. Add dry ingredients; mix well.  Stir in buttermilk.  Pour into greased 9 x 9 inch baking pan and spread to even out batter in pan and smooth the top. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of batter.  Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Let cool 15-20 minutes or so before slicing and serving.  Yields 9-16 servings... depending on how large you slice them....

5 comments:

  1. This cake is delicious! A bit hit :) I used softened unsalted butter instead of shortening and it worked just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is delicious! I used softened unsalted butter instead of shortening. Turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I've been meaning to try it with butter-- I've been moving away from using shortening. Good to know it turned out!

      Delete
  3. If you use butter instead of shortening, do you use the same amount?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete