Friday, February 15, 2013

Egg Free Red Velvet Mug Cake

Red Velvet Cake = LOVE!  I was thinking that I would get this post in before Valentines Day, but there were so many other things that I wanted to share that it just didn't happen.  I typically equate red velvet with Valentines Day, but really, it can be an anytime thing.  I don't think I had ever even had red velvet cake before until I made egg free red velvet cupcakes!  Love it! And I knew, I needed to come up with a mug cake recipe for red velvet for those times when I need a quick fix!  


Egg Free Red Velvet Mug Cake
From Egg Free Bakery

4 Tbsp flour
2-1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp applesauce
2 Tbsp buttermilk (or milk with a splash of apple cider vinegar)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp vanilla 
1/2- 1 tsp red food coloring (depending on how red you want it to be)

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 tbsp cream cheese, softened
2-3 tbsp powdered sugar
splash of milk

Mix together cake ingredients in a cup.  I usually mix the wet ingredients first to get them combined really well, then add the dry ingredients, stirring til smooth.  Microwave about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, checking frequently so as not to over cook.  The top should be set when it is done.  Let cool a few minutes.  Soften cream cheese in the microwave a few seconds.  Stir in powdered sugar and milk and stir until smooth.  Dollop on top of mug cake.  Serve warm!  Yields 1 mug cake

To make the cake like it is pictured above, after mixing the cake ingredients together, grease a ramekin, pour the cake batter in and microwave.  When it is done and after it as cooled a minute or two, invert ramekin onto a plate and gently shake, tap the cake out.  It should come out easily, but if not, run a knife around the edges or let cool a little more to help it come out (and if it still doesn't come out-- then just eat it! ha ha)

3 comments:

  1. I just made your chocolate mug cake (with dark chocolate chips). It was the best ever! Most egg-free mug cakes I have tried tasted horrible. Not this one. I cannot wait to try red velvet, its my step-sons favorite (and he's had to suffer through a ton of red velvet experiments the past year or so).
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recipes. Egg-free baking has become so much easier since I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment! It's fun being able to share my "successes" with others. We've had a lot of experiments at our house too (lol). I hope you like the red velvet mug cake as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I just realized I made an typing error in the recipe! I had put baking soda instead of baking powder. I just changed the recipe so it is correct now. So sorry if that messed up the results for anyone.

    ReplyDelete