Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Egg Free Cheesecake

This simply couldn't wait!  I was going to wait to share this for some special occasion or holiday, but I've just been so excited about it that I had to share the recipe right away!  This is THE BEST cheesecake I have ever made!  Even better than cheesecake that has eggs in it.  I seriously was singing and dancing when I saw how well this turned out in both appearance and taste.  (No springform pan-- No cracking on top!)

This was actually my second attempt at egg free cheesecake, the first (using a different recipe) I had been excited about, but when eaten plain, it had a chalky texture and a little bit of an after taste-- but this recipe-- seriously, you can't even tell it doesn't have eggs and you can eat it plain or with topping.  It is fantastic!  I am dreaming of the thousands of possibilities this has created for me... like oreo cheesecake...


It's a good thing I went for a walk and did zumba.  That justifies two slices of cheesecake, doesn't it?

Egg Free Cheesecake
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted from vegan version at 21st Century Vegetarians

3 8 oz packages cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp whipping cream
3/4 cup sour cream
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp vanilla
Fruit topping (store bought or homemade)*
1 deep dish (or extra serving) graham cracker crusts
or You can make your own:
1-3/4 cup fine graham cracker crumbs
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter, melted
For graham cracker crumb crust:  Combine ingredients and press into a pie dish.**

For cheesecake: Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cream cheese, whipping cream, sour cream, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla. Blend thoroughly with a mixer, making sure you mix until the batter is smooth. The batter will be very thick.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan/pie crust. Bake for 55 - 60 minutes (no less!) Do not remove from the oven.  Turn the oven off and crack the oven door open.  Let the cheesecake slowly cool for a couple of hours.  Then remove from the oven and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.  When ready to serve, slice into 12 slices.  Remove to individual serving plates and spoon desired fruit topping.  (We tried strawberry, cherry and blackberry and really liked blackberry on top!)

*To make your own fruit topping using fresh fruit (like berries), wash and chop, (if needed) 2 cups fruit and place in a bowl with a couple of tablespoons sugar.  Stir to coat well and let stand until the berries release their juices some.  To make fruit topping with frozen fruit, place 2 cups frozen fruit in a saucepan with a couple tablespoons of sugar.  Heat and stir until fruit is defrosted then simmer 5 minutes.  Serve mixture warm over cheesecake or remove to a storage container and let it cool completely in the fridge.

**I made my own graham cracker crust, but my pie pan was not deep dish, so I did end up with a extra cheesecake batter that I was not able to fit in.  So I think it's ideal if you can get or make an extra large graham cracker pie crust.  Just fyi.


8 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. I LOVE cheesecake! I am so glad you posted this, I thought I had to wait for my little guy to grow out of his allergy to make cheesecake again. Thank you so much!! I cannot wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts too! I knew I had to find some way to make cheesecake egg free! I hope you are as happy with the recipe as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this recipe and a traditional (with eggs) cheesecake for my husband's birthday yesterday. The eggless one had a much superior texture in my opinion. It came out PERFECT! I may never make one with eggs again! Thank you thank you thank you! My egg-allergic son will never miss out on yummy cheesecake now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! So happy it turned out for you!!

      Delete
  4. What can we substitute for sour cream?
    Yoghurt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try it. I've never tried it before. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Have you ever frozen this cheesecake? Would love to know if it turned out ok. It would be great to make this ahead of time for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried freezing it before. Sorry I'm not much help!

      Delete