Friday, January 25, 2013

Pizza Burgers/Hot Pockets

I had something else planned for today but this cold weather has brought back some memories of living in Idaho, specifically when I was in college-- walking on campus hoping I wouldn't slip and fall flat on my back (especially in front of any cute boys), the hairs in my nose freezing whenever I went outside, and doing alot of eating (waffles at 2 am, $5 hot-n-ready pizza...) and movie-watching because not only was there nothing else to do in a small college town, but it was also too cold to do anything.  This recipe is one my mom used to make all the time growing up and one of the only "real" meals I mastered living on my own.  I'd make it for my roommates and they'd love it!  Quick, easy, delicious and foolproof.  Definitely a good recipe to have around for nights that are busy.  I experimented around with the meat and put it in a hot pocket.  It was great!  I could see this meat being prepared in advance and stored in the freezer for whenever and whatever you need it for.


 

Pizza Burgers 
From Egg Free Bakery


1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
Mozzarella cheese, shredded

Brown ground beef or turkey in a large skillet until no longer pink.  Drain and discard fat.  Stir in tomato sauce and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, split hamburger buns in half and place open face side up on a cookie sheet.  Spoon meat mixture onto hamburger buns and top with mozzarella cheese.  Broil in oven for a few minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.  Remove and serve.  Yield- 8-10 pizza burgers

For Hot pockets:
Prepare 1 recipe no rise pizza dough.  Prepare meat according to recipe directions.  Roll out dough and section into 8-10 sections.  Spoon meat onto half of each section. (You might have extra meat) Top with cheese.  Fold dough over filling and pinch seams - you may use a fork for aesthetics- Place each hot pocket on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until tops are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment