Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chicken Quesadilla & Quesadilla Bar

It's been pretty cold lately.  I'm not really complaining because though it has been cold we've had SuNsHinE!!!  And in the NW, I will take cold & sunny vs warm & overcast.  Ok, now I'm going to complain:  the past couple of days have been so foggy!  Like, I look at my window and I can just barely see the edge of our small somethin'-1000- sq ft lot.  Sometimes I think that I look hard enough I might see something like this:
 {EEK! Why am I showing something like this in an already gloomy month}

Onto something more warm and comforting.  And EASY!  By far one of our favorite meals.  It is sooo easy to make and so addicting.  You simply can't eat just one.  A couple of times now I've actually featured this dish with dinner guests.  Many of you, I'm sure, have done "build your own pizzas" and salad bar, potato bar, but have you every done a build-your-own-quesadilla-bar? (my family is not allowed to answer that question).  It's fun and different.  I put all the quesadilla fixin's into bowls and preheat my big electric griddle.  Guests then build and toast their own quesadillas, personalizing to suite their taste. Toppings might include cooked chicken (and/or steak would be tasty), different kinds of cheese (pepper jack, monterey, cheddar), green onions, chopped cilantro, olives, diced tomatoes, diced onion, beans etc.  Then serve with salsa, guacamole, sour cream etc to dip quesadillas in.  I'll save you the trouble and tell you right now don't put the sauces IN the quesadillas.  It seems like it would taste good, but I'm telling you, it tastes ALOT better and toasts up more nicely without the salsa and such inside.


With all the topping choices, however, I think the the winning combination is this:

Chicken Quesadillas
From Egg Free Bakery

8-10 Flour Tortillas (Homemade would be awesome too!)
1 cup each shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheese
1 cup diced cooked chicken
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
Salsa, guacamole & sour cream

For each quesadilla, place a tortilla on a hot griddle.  Place chicken, green onions, olives and cheese on half of the tortilla.  Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the filled side  Cook about 20-30 seconds, until golden brown, flip and cook until the other side is golden brown.  Remove and let stand for a few seconds before slicing.  Using a pizza cutter, cut into 3-4 wedges.  Serve with salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream.  Mexican rice makes a good side dish to the meal too.  Yield: 8-10 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment