Friday, December 21, 2012

Nut Free (& Egg Free) Blossom Cookies

I don't know about you but I have been doing alot of holiday baking!  Baking treats for neighbors, friends and co-workers.  I am kind of "baked out" and kind of "sugared out"-- which is surprising because I really haven't sampled the treats all that much.  But even just looking at pictures of sweets is adding to the sugar rush.  It's not even Christmas yet!  But here's just one more cookie recipe for you this month.  I've always loved Hershey's peanut butter blossoms and wanted to recreate a nut free version.  I've seen recipes where sunbutter is used as a substitute, and while my boy likes sunbutter, I'm not all that crazy about it.  So instead I made kind of a chocolate chip cookie dough, minus the chips, rolled it in sugar and adding a giant "chip" on top.  I was trying to come up with what I could call these, but we'll just stick with blossom cookies because it was the idea that I was really going after.  These turned out nice and pillowy.  Even had a recipe request for one of my hubs co-workers (little did they know these were egg free!)

 

Nut Free Blossom Cookies
From Egg Free Bakery, inspired by Hershey's

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
2 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar 
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk
Additional sugar for rolling (about 1/4 cup)
baking melts or hershey kisses*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream together butter, shortening and cream cheese. Add sugars. Beat until well combined and fluffy.  Add vanilla.  In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt.  Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with milk.  Mix well.  Drop dough by tablespoonfuls on an ungreased baking sheet.  Roll each into a ball and roll each ball into sugar.  Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes.  Remove from oven and immediately press a baking melt or Hershey kiss into the center or each cookie, flattening the cookie somewhat.  Let cool about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.  Cool completely before storing.  Yield a little over 2 dozen cookies.

*Be sure to check package of baking melts or kisses for possible nut cross contamination

Shared on Allergy Free Wednesday


No comments:

Post a Comment