Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Egg Free Gingerbread Waffles

We are officially in the month of December! Therefore we can officially begin the Christmas holiday season.  I saw a comic once that summed up my feelings perfectly about Thanksgiving and Christmas:

 december fat boy

While I admit I set up my Christmas tree 2 days after Thanksgiving and had my Christmas music on the radio... at least I waited until after Thanksgiving was over.  So in the fall, I crave everything pumpkin.  Now I'm craving everything gingerbread!  In the past 48 hours I have made gingerbread cake, gingerbread men cookies and these gingerbread waffles!  And I am just getting started!  These waffles are lightly spiced (in my opinion) so feel free to up the spices if you like your gingerbread spicier.  Enjoy this festive twist on waffles!


Egg Free Gingerbread Waffles
From Egg Free Bakery
View Printable Recipe Here
 
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup applesauce
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled or 1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk 
1/3 cup sour cream
3 tbsp. molasses

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.  Whisk to blend.  In a medium bowl, combine the applesauce, butter or oil, milk, sour cream and molasses and whisk to blend well.  Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and whisk to combine until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Cook on a preheated waffle iron until crisp and golden.  Serve immediately topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or whipped cream.  May also garnish with bananas on top too.  Yield about 4-5 waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment