Friday, December 7, 2012

Egg Free Brownies

I had planned to post something else today, but in light of the hormonal storm this month (TMI?) these seemed more appropriate:

Why hello there handsome.  What's this you say?  You can make everything better and take all my problems away?

I believe you.

Fudgy, chocolately, and delicious!  My previous egg free brownie attempts resulted in brownies that were more "cake-like".  If I want cake, I will make cake.  In my opinion brownies need to be dense, chewy and chocolately.  

Now remember everyone, we're baking egg free here so no, these are not going to taste like the brownie mix from a box.  I always get a kick out of reader comments following a recipe.  You have some people that are like "Yay!  This recipe is great!" and then other people who are like "Oh.my.gosh.  WORST recipe EVER!  Next time, I will stick with my brownie recipe that has eggs!"  Really?  What did you expect? I wonder what happens in those negative-comment-people's kitchens sometimes. 

I, however, am rather impressed with this recipe!  I think they are perfect and I would say you wouldn't even know they didn't have eggs in them. BUT (I will add a little disclaimer here) if you are not really a cocoa lover these might not be sweet enough for you. If that's the case, I'd recommend adding milk chocolate chips to the batter. My hubs is a milk chocolate fan whereas I am smitten with dark chocolate.  After tasting these he said "You used cocoa powder didn't you.  I can always tell." He still likes them, it just boils down to personal taste sometimes.  This recipe comes from All Recipes and Art of Dessert and I did a smidgen more tweaking too.  These taste better once they've cooled completely, so be sure to take that into consideration if you are making these for someone or a special event.  Enjoy!

Egg Free Brownies
From Egg Free Bakery, slightly adapted from Art of Dessert and All Recipes
View Printable Recipe Here

1/3 cup all-purpose flour 
1 cup water 
1/2 cup butter 
1/4 cup shortening or vegetable oil 
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
1 1/2 cup white sugar 
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch pan with aluminum foil. In a heavy saucepan combine the 1/3 cup of flour and water. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick. (When you stir it, you should see the bottom of the pan.  It will have the consistency of pudding.) Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool.  In a small saucepan, melt butter. When butter has melted, add the shortening (or oil) and stir to let the shortening melt too.  Then add the cocoa powder; mix until smooth and set aside to cool. Beat the sugars and vanilla into the cooled flour mixture, mixing well. Stir in the cocoa mixture until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the batter until just blended. Fold in chocolate chips.  Spread evenly in the prepared pan, smoothing out the top.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with some moist crumbs attached (it's okay if the toothpick looks moist but no wet batter should be clinging to it). Cool completely then flip the brownie over to a cutting board. Peel off the aluminum foil and cut the brownie into bars. These taste best after they have cooled completely.  Yield about 12-15 bars (depending on how big you decide to cut them)



Try frosting these bad boys with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.

3 comments:

  1. We made these for dessert and topped them with an oreo truffle mixture. FANTASTIC! My egg-allergic friend was in heaven and the rest of us enjoyed our first egg-free brownies, and didn't miss the eggs at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that! Oreo truffle hmm? That sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These brownies are awesome! We had them for dessert tonight and my non-allergic child said, "Mom, I'd give these 6 thumbs up if I had that many thumbs!" Ha! Everyone devoured them.

    THANK YOU from a mom of one non-allergy boy and two boys with peanut and egg allergies! We look forward to trying many more recipes.

    ReplyDelete