Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Italian Meatball Soup

It's a double feature today with TWO recipes! But they go together.  Can't have one without the other.  So I love soup!  I used to be a soup-hater, but now soup, almost any kind, is the ultimate comfort food for me.  My kids actually ate this pretty well too.  That is saying something because my kids are picky and never want to eat dinner.  They liked picking out the noodles and carrots in this soup so I'll count that as a success.  This recipe comes from Our Best Bites, but I made my own egg free version of Italian Meatballs for the soup.  I also halved the original recipe because otherwise with my small family we would be eating soup all week. 


Italian Meatball Soup
From Our Best Bites, adapted egg free by Egg Free Bakery

1 recipe egg free Italian meatballs
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
2-1/2 cans chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1-3/4 cup crushed tomato (half of a 28 oz can)
1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
1 carrot, sliced
1 cup spinach, thinly sliced

Prepare meatballs according to directions in recipe, but take them out of the oven just before they are done so they can finish cooking in the soup and release some of their juices.  (However, I like to make mine ahead of time, keep em in the freezer or something.  It speeds up dinner prep time.)  In a pot, heat oil over medium high heat.  Saute onion and garlic until translucent.  Then add chicken broth, water, crushed tomato and Italian seasoning.  Bring to a boil.  Add meatballs, macaroni, carrot slices and spinach.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Serve with breadsticks or cheesy garlic bread swirls.  Yield: 4-5 servings of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment