Friday, November 30, 2012

Homemade Ranch Dip & Dry Ranch Mix

This is my one and only ranch go-to recipe!  I saw this in a Cooking Light magazine and since I've been messing around making my own egg free, mustard free ranch, my heart skipped a beat when I saw this recipe didn't have those ingredients in it! This was quick, easy and definitely a keeper for us!  The original recipe included fresh herbs, which I didn't have, so I messed around with dried according to taste.  I love the combination of these few simple ingredients and flavors that I even created a ranch mix based of this recipe.  Great served with veggies or even spread on sandwiches! Also delicious on a baked potato with cheddar and bacon.  If you find yourself out of ranch one day or can't stand the chemical-ness of pre-packaged ranch.  Give this one a try.  I always get compliments on this dip!


Homemade Ranch Dip
From Egg Free Bakery, heavily adapted from Cooking Light APRIL 2012

1 Tbsp dried parsley
1/4 dried dill weed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine seasonings.  You can totally quadruple (or whatever you want) this recipe and store it for future use. Mix seasonings with either:
  
4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons nonfat buttermilk

--OR--

1/2 cup sour cream 

**The cream cheese gives it a thicker, creamier texture while the sour cream tastes just like the ranch dip you make with the hidden valley ranch seasoning packets (but better, of course)  I prefer mixing it with sour cream

**If you do decide to multiply this recipe to store for future use, you would measure out about a tbsp, heaping tbsp, of your ranch mix and then add it to the sour cream or cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment