Tuesday, October 2, 2012

White Chicken Chili

This soup is a regular at our dinner table.  Since I first had this soup at a friend's house, I have made it dozens of times since!  Since my boy can't have beans, I just scoop out a serving for him before I add the beans.  This MUST be eaten with cheese quesadillas.  My hubs likes to dip the quesas in the soup, I like it on the side, and my kids like to eat the quesas and then balk at the soup. Definitely one of my top 5 favorite soups!


White Chicken Chili
From Egg Free Bakery, given to me by a friend, JoLynn 

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 cups milk
1 can ( 14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 can diced green chilies
1/4 to 1/2 cup cilantro, optional (I've done both.  Just depends if you like cilantro or not)
2 cans white/navy beans, drained and rinsed
1-1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

In a large pot, melt butter; add flour.  Stir together until smooth then add garlic and cook and stir for 20 seconds or so. Very gradually add milk and then chicken broth. (I usually add in 1/2 cup at a time and cook and stir until it is incorporated and becoming thick again)  Stir constantly and simmer until thickened. (This may take a while, but tastes much better with a thicker soup base versus a thinner one. I'll admit, I don't always stir constantly and if you are like me and get impatient, I will puree some of my beans which helps to thicken it more)  Then add chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.  Stir together.  Add chicken.  Drain and rinse beans in a colander. Puree chilies with cilantro and, if desired, puree 1/4 of the beans.  You could even puree more if you'd prefer a not-so-chunky soup.  Add to soup.   Add remaining beans  and shredded cheese.  Bring to a boil again then simmer for 10 minutes.  Yield 8-10 servings.  Serve with warm toasted cheese quesadillas.

*Since my boy is allergic to legumes, I add the beans last.  But before I do, I scoop out a portion for him.  If I happen to have leftover rice lying around in the fridge, I'll add some rice to his portion to beef it up in place of the beans.

Sharing on Foodie Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment