Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Egg Free Pumpkin Waffles

My very first ever attempt at pumpkin waffles (which was also a first egg free waffle attempt) was a sad day.  It was a few years ago and it ended with me cursing egg allergies as I'm scraping my waffles off my waffle iron and miserably taste testing the scraps to see if this was worth it- and it wasn't because they were way too "pumpkin-ey" and the fact that they didn't look pretty had me close to tears. I thought my waffle days were over and I figured I'd never try to make pumpkin waffles ever again.  Here I am a couple years later and ready to tackle it.  Using my basic egg free waffle recipe as a starter, it took me a few tries to get just right.  My kids are probably so tired of pumpkin waffles ha ha.  They aren't complaining.  They gobble these up so fast.  The first time I made these pumpkin waffles they were too dense and chewy, the second time they were good, but kind of soggy.  Third time's the charm.  A little more tweaking to the recipe and I've finally got what I was looking for!  Crisp on the outside and tender in the center.  I will tell you they are heavier than traditional waffles, but welcome to egg free baking. :) (Traditional waffles get their airiness from whipping egg whites.) I'm just happy they didn't stick to my waffle iron, they are crisp (which is a MUST) and they taste fabulous.  I'm happy! Divine with a drizzle of cinnamon cream cheese syrup, but you could also dollop with sweetened whipped cream for a more pumpkin pie tasting waffle.

 

Pumpkin Waffles
From Egg Free Bakery

2 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup sour cream
handful of mini chocolate chips, optional

Whisk together, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in bowl.  In another bowl, whisk together pumpkin, buttermilk and oil until smooth.  Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until combined.  Don't overmix.  Fold in chocolate chips if using.  Totally optional.  They are good either way.  The batter will be thick. It will not be pourable, you will have to just scoop it out onto your waffle iron.  Bake in a preheated waffle iron sprayed with cooking spray until crisp and golden.  Serve with cinnamon cream cheese syrup (my favorite), buttermilk caramel syrup, maple syrup or whipped cream.  Yield 5-6 waffles

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Syrup

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup buttermilk
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, buttermilk and cream cheese. Cook mixture, whisking constantly until cream cheese has melted. Stir in baking soda and whisk for about 10 seconds until very frothy. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Serve warm. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week. 


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I featured this recipe on my blog today, with a link to your blog. Maybe this will get you some new traffic! :)
      http://eggallergycooking.blogspot.com/2013/11/pumpkin-waffles-egg-free.html


      Delete
  2. Made these today for my egg-allergy kid and they are fantastic! Thanks for doing the testing and coming up with a recipe that works! :) We all gobbled them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a double batch of these this morning (found you through Pinterest); the majority of my waffles split in half when I opened my waffle maker to remove them. I suspect pockets of steam in the middle. Any suggestions for future egg free waffle adventures? I have a bunch of tasty (albeit ugly) waffles for us to eat this week now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Did you grease your waffle iron each time you poured batter into it? That’s the only thing I can think of.

      Delete