Friday, October 5, 2012

Buttermilk Caramel Syrup

Yes, you guessed it.  This is from Our Best Bites.  I've been wanting to try this for like- ever and finally did and Oh my goodness I audibly and literally gasped when I ate this with our pancakes.  It's sooo good!  I had to take it a step further and try it on some ice cream too.  You know you are obsessed with something when you dream about it, right?  Ok, yes I was dreaming about different ways I could use this syrup recipe- it's that good. :) I have to reemphasize what it stated in the recipe- you really need a large pot for this.  It doesn't seem like you need a big one for the size of the ingredients in the recipe, but it rises and boils and foams and I was wishing I used a bigger one.  Fortunately no boil over.  Phew.


Buttermilk Caramel Syrup

3/4 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 stick real butter
2 Tbsp. corn syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine buttermilk, sugar, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda in a LARGE pot.  Bring ingredients to a boil and reduce heat to low (as long as it’s still bubbling, you’re okay). Cook, stirring very frequently, for 8-9 minutes.When it’s done, it should take on this luscious golden-brown color. Remove from heat and add vanilla. There will be foam on top. It tastes just as good, but it’s not super pretty. If you’re into aesthetics, you can skim it off; otherwise, just give it a good stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment