Monday, September 17, 2012

Egg Free Rice Pudding

So while some of you might be gagging and retching at the sound of "rice pudding"- it's actually a dessert that brings feeling of nostalgia for me.  My mom used to make it for us growing up.  It really is a labor of love as it does take a little time at the stove top to make.  I was craving this the other day and was curious to see if I could make the recipe I had egg free.  I did!  It turned out fabulous!  I didn't even miss the eggs.  Warm and creamy sweet mix of rice, raisins flavored with the perfect touch of cinnamon and vanilla.  Don't knock it til you try it. :)

Rice Pudding 
From Egg Free Bakery 
 
2 cups milk, divided
3/4 cup evaporated milk
½ cup plus 2 tbsp sugar, divided
¼ tsp. salt
3 tbsp. cornstarch
2-3 cups hot cooked rice
½ cup raisins
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon

Combine 1-1/2 cup milk, evaporated milk and 6 tbsp sugar in a saucepan and heat until just about to boil.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl, remaining 1/2 cup milk, cornstarch, salt, and remaining 4 tbsp. sugar.  Slowly pour mixture into scalded milk, stirring constantly until pudding begins to thicken.  Cook 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add hot cooked rice; cook 7-10 additional minutes.  Remove from heat;  add raisins, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.  Pudding will continue to thicken as it stands.  Serve warm.  May garnish with additional raisins and sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.  Yield: about 4-6 servings

*Since I am the only one who really likes this in my family, I had leftovers which I divided into individual servings and put in the freezer for later.  Worked great! 

Sharing on Real Food, Allergy Free: Allergy Free Wednesday

2 comments:

  1. While I fortunately do not have to accommodate for any food allergies in my cooking, I find it great to have these alternatives on hand when I'm short an ingredient. This rice pudding was delicious and will probably become my go-to recipe. We didn't miss the eggs at all! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete